NRA Personal Protection In The Home Instructor Training
Course Number: PPI002
Course Title: NRA Personal Protection In The Home-Instructor
Cost: $259.00 (includes student and instructor course)
Course Goal: To develop NRA Certified Instructors who possess the knowledge, skills, and attitude necessary to conduct the NRA Basic Personal Protection In The Home Course.
Course Description: As a certified NRA Personal Protection In The Home Instructor you will be able to teach this class to your students.
NRA Basic Personal Protection In The Home Course is an eight-hour course. Students should expect to shoot approximately 100 rounds of ammunition. Students will learn basic defensive shooting skills, strategies for home safety and responding to a violent confrontation, firearms and the law, how to choose a handgun for self-defense, and continued opportunities for skill development. Students will receive the NRA Guide to the Basics of Personal Protection In The Home handbook, NRA Gun Safety Rules brochure, the Winchester/NRA Marksmanship Qualification booklet, and course completion certificate.(Lesson Plan, revised 08/11)
NRA Basic Personal Protection In The Home course is for law-abiding adult citizens, as defined by applicable federal, state, or local law, and experienced shooters (shooters able to show mastery of the basic skills of safe gun handling, shooting a group, zeroing the firearm, and cleaning the firearm) to maximize what can be learned from this course. Proof of shooting experience can be one of the following: NRA Basic Pistol Course Certificate, NRA FIRST Steps Course Certificate, NRA pistol competitive shooting qualification card, military DD 214 with pistol qualification, or passing the Pre-Course Assessment.
Topics/Lessons covered include:
• Introduction to NRA Basic Personal Protection In The Home Course Outline and Lesson Plans (40 minutes)
• Teaching Personal Protection In The Home Lesson I: Introduction to Defensive Shooting (1 hour)
• Teaching Personal Protection In The Home Lesson II: Basic Defensive Pistol Skills (3 hours)
• Teaching Personal Protection In The Home Lesson III: Firearms and the Law, Possession, Ownership, and the Use of Deadly Force (30 minutes)
• Teaching Personal Protection In The Home Lesson IV: Strategies for Home Safety and Responding to a Violent Confrontation (1 hour)
• Teaching Personal Protection In The Home Lesson V: Selecting a Pistol for Self-Defense (40 minutes)
- Teaching Personal Protection In The Home Lesson VI: Sport Shooting Activities and Training Opportunities (30 minutes)
- Teaching Personal Protection In The Home Lesson VII: Course Review and Examination and Course Conclusion (1.5 hours)
Instructor (s): John Gonsalves and Bill Weeks
John and Bill are NRA Certified Instructors and Training Counselors. Both instructors started instructing and earning their certifications with Boy Scouts of America as Merit Badge Counselors and Instructors in Rifle, Shotgun, Muzzleloading, and Home Firearm Safety courses teaching and working with youth through the Boy Scout program. John and Bill are still active and Chair the Shooting Sports Programs for their districts. Both instructors are Front Sight graduates and continue to update the credentials through ongoing training opportunities.
- Candidates MUST have passed NRA Basic Instructor Training Part 1
- Candidates MUST have passed Pistol Instructor Course
- Pass the NRA Pre-Course Qualification assessment
Materials Provided by Students:
- Pistol and 50 rounds of ammo
- Eye and Ear protection
- Positive attitude
Materials Provided by Instructor:
- Instructor Training Packets
• Substitutions of attendee may be made at any time.
• Attendees must cancel at least 72 hours prior to the course date to receive a full refund less a $15 administrative fee.
• For cancellations received within 48 hours of the course date no cash refunds will be provided. Instead, a one-time class rescheduling can be made. A rescheduled course must occur within 12 months from original course date. If a course has not been attended within the 12 month period all course fees are forfeited by the participant.
• Failure to attend the course or cancellations less than 48 hours notification will result in no refund or credit of the course fee or rescheduling.
• The Centennial Gun Club reserves the right to cancel or reschedule seminars at any time. IF we cancel or reschedule the seminar due to weather or unforeseen circumstances beyond our control, you are entitled to a full refund. The Centennial Gun Club is not responsible for travel arrangements, travel fees, or any expenses incurred by you as a result of such cancellation. IF The Centennial Gun Club cancels a seminar in which you are enrolled, you will be contacted at the email address you provided when registering, so please be sure to provide a valid email address and check your-email prior to attending class.